- 2019-07-02 08:00: All Service Platform services resumed. It might be that some of the services are not properly working and need to be restarted after the maintenance. If you experience any problem with your service, please do not hesitate to contact us asap.
- 2019-06-27 19:58: NIRD filesystems are mounted back to Fram.
- 2019-06-27 19:46: NIRD login nodes are started back now, you may login and access your files stored on NIRD.
Remaining Service Platform services will be started tomorrow morning.
- 2019-06-27 09:54: We are starting back and testing the file system now.
- 2019-06-26 22:08: All hardware replacements are done now and the storage system is monitored for any signs of instability. Starting back of the filesystem is planned for tomorrow morning. We will keep you updated.
- 2019-06-26 14:05: Vendor is meticulously checking each NIRD storage component and decided to replace main controller chassis.
In the mean time we are applying firmware updates on the Service Platform to improve stability and security.
- 2019-06-26 08:15: Maintenance has started.
Dear NIRD and Service Platform User,
We have a planned downtime on the 26th of June, Wednesday next week, to replace some defective hardware. Systems will taken offline starting from 08:00AM.
Engineer from storage vendor will assist us from the very first hour.
We expect the maintenance to finish in one day.
Will keep you updated here.
Dear Fram User,
As of today we have adjusted the queue system policies to facilitate code development and testing on Fram and meanwhile limit possible misuse of devel queue.
devel is now adjusted to allow:
- max 4 node jobs
- max 30 minutes wall time
- max 1 job per user
We have additionally introduced a short queue with following settings:
- max 10 node jobs
- max 120 minutes wall time
- max 2 jobs per user
We will continue to monitor and improve the queue system. Please stay tuned.
You may find more information here.
Dear Fram User,
This morning around 09:05, once again has the Fram metadata server crashed and likely had impact on running jobs.
A mitigating patch was delivered by the vendor yesterday and we used this opportunity to apply it on our metadata servers.
We will keep the system closely monitored and cooperate with the vendor on further stabilizing the system.
Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused!
Dear Fram User,
Once again has the Fram metadata server crashed and likely had impact on running jobs.
We are in contact with the storage vendor for patching the file system.
Apologies for the inconvenience!
login-1-1 on Fram become unresponsive and we had to reboot the node.
The login node should be shortly operational again.
- 2019-04-03 13:25: NIRD and the service platform are back into production.
- 2019-04-03 10:59: Maintenance work has finished. We are proceeding in starting back the filesystems and services.
- 2019-04-03 08:22: Disk expansion and rebalancing is finished. HW checks are currently ongoing and shall finish in a couple of hours. Will keep you posted.
- 2019-04-02 09:55: NIRD filesystems are unmounted from Fram and replicated data is available read-only trough login-trd.nird.sigma2.no
- 2019-04-02 08:06: Maintenance work has started.
Dear NIRD User,
NIRD and the Service Platform will be under maintenance to expand the disk capacity in Tromsø.
The operations for storage expansion and disk pool rebalancing will start on the 2nd of April at 8:00 am CET and will last for maximum 2 days. During the maintenance, the services running on the NIRD Service Platform and on the NIRD Toolkit will not be available.
During the downtime we plan to make project data mirrored to Trondheim available in read-only mode trough a specially built login node. This solution will be first tested with real load during this downtime, thus we might encounter some technical difficulties.
That being said, to access the remote, mirrored data, please login to login-trd.nird.sigma2.no.
We apologise for the inconvenience.
Servers running the Service Platform and NIRD login nodes, have some issues with the remote filesystems.
The problem is already identified and being taken care of, but you might experience short hiccups until the problem is fixed on all the affected nodes.
You will have to re-login to NIRD login nodes.
We expect to be ready in maximum one hour.
Dear NIRD and NIRD Toolkit User,
After a prolonged downtime due to system failures beyond our control and field of responsibility, access to NIRD is finally reopened.
The vendor has replaced the failing hardware and we are finally back online. Some disk pools are still under rebuild and should be finished in few hours. Until then, you might encounter slight performance loss.
We will proceed in taking up the Service Platform during today.
Thank you for your understanding and patience!
- 2019-02-26 08:57: Fram parts have arrived and were installed yesterday. The vendor will start rebuilding the disk pools on Fram today.
- 2019-02-22 09:10: Access to NIRD is reopened. We will proceed in taking up the Service Platform during today. Some disk pools are still under rebuild and should be finished in few hours. So until then, you might encounter slight performance loss.
- 2019-02-21 15:40: Most of disk rebuild on NIRD are finished. NIRD file system is started and we will proceed with opening access to NIRD as soon as remaining network issues are sorted out on the backbone.
Due to logistic issues, Fram parts are held back at the customs. The vendor sent a second batch of parts through another logistic company and ETA is Monday morning.
We will post a message when access to NIRD is re-opened.
- 2019-02-19 14:10: Disk rebuilds on NIRD have reached 40%. Current ETA for NIRD is Thursday morning.
We are still waiting for the Fram parts to arrive to Tromsø.
- 2019-02-18 16:36: Some disk pools must be rebuilt once again for NIRD, thus delaying the opening once more. We are terribly sorry for this. Will continue updating the log as soon as new information is available.
- 2019-02-18 10:10:
NIRD storage is stabilized now and the vendor will do a new attempt of taking the system back online during today. At this stage it is still uncertain when Fram can be put back into production.
- 2019-02-15 11:18: We are still experiencing problems with the storage system on Fram. Disks begun to mass-fail once again after the system seemed to be stable during the night. We are depending on the vendor to resolve these issues and we are working closely with them.
Based on the new instability we can not give an estimate for when the system will be ready for general use again. This is an unfortunate situation and we understand the impact on you, and thus we try all possible solutions to keep your data safe and bring up the system as soon as possible.The OpsLog will be updated with new information when the status of the situation changes.
- 2019-02-14 13:17: Due to missing parts, and the size of the storage, disk recovery is progressing slowly ahead on approximately 50% reduced performance. Current ETA are:
- Fram: 15.02.2019
- NIRD: 19.02.2019
- Service Plattform: 19.02.2019
- 2019-02-13 19:07: Communication with the missing storage enclosures were re-established and disk pools are rebuilding at this time. Unfortunately we can not reopen machines until disk pools are stabilized. We will have a new round of checks and risk analysis tomorrow morning. Will keep you updated here.
- 2019-02-13 11:33: Some of the parts arrived to the datacenter and we are working with the vendor on replacing and pathing the firmware on Fram. More details to follow as we know more.
- 2019-02-12 15:38: NIRD Tromsø and Fram storages have each one disk enclosure which failed. We are waiting for replacement parts to arrive. After replacement we will have to rebuild disk pools before re-opening machines for production.Current estimate is tomorrow evening. Will keep you updated.
- 2019-02-12 12:36: Firmware upgrade on NIRD is finished. We are proceeding to start back NIRD services. Will keep you posted.
- 2019-02-12 08:17: Maintenance has started.
- 2019-02-11 13:20: Due to the disk problems accellerating during the weekend, we have now changed the maintenance stop reservation so no new jobs will start until the maintenance is done. Already running jobs will not be affected, but no new jobs will start. This has been done to reduce the risk of data loss.
We need to have a scheduled downtime on a relatively short notice in order to upgrade the firmware on both Fram and NIRD (including NIRD Toolkit) storages.
This is a critical and mandatory update which will increase stability, performance and reliability of our systems.
The downtime is expected to last no more than a working day.
Fram jobs which can not finish by the 12th of February, are queued up and will not start until the maintenance is finished.
Thank you for your understanding!
- 2019-01-11 08:30: We are starting to rebuild the remaining degraded storage pools. The storage vendor is analyzing further logs and working on a new firmware for our systems.
- 2019-01-07 11:30: The disk system on Fram is hopefully back to normal soon, but further disks in the NIRD filesystem failed during the weekend, and need to be replaced.
- 2019-01-04 15:29: Raidsets are now rebuilding and we expect them to be finished within 24 hours.
We are experiencing hardware failures on both Fram and NIRD storages. Due to disk losses performance is also slightly degraded at this point.
To mitigate those issues we will have to reseat IO modules on the controllers and this might cause IO hang. Will keep you updated.